At APM Terminals, we are a team of over 20,000 employees spread across more than 60 countries united by a passion to provide our expertise in port operations and container management services. By providing the expertise and port infrastructure essential to world trade, we actively support the advancement of the societies around us, enabling local economies to unlock their potential and build an even stronger global community. Working with a team of talented professionals you will get a chance to experience different cultures and make friends all over the world. You’ll find a culturally diverse, stimulating environment at any of our offices, terminals or depots. When you join APM Terminals, the world is your workplace.
APM Terminals is an independent business unit within the Danish Maersk Group – a Global Fortune 500 company with about 89,000 employees and offices in 130 countries with global growth opportunities in a range of fields from shipping and energy to our offshore and manufacturing industries – Join us to achieve even your most ambitious career goals!
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Supervisor
Category: Terminal Operations/Engineering
- Structure tasks and goals, and establish efficient courses of action, set priorities, organize information and resources, efficiently execute daily tasks with considerations for high productivity through the effective allocation and utilization of equipment and labor; always attend ongoing operations and be accessible via radio.
- Responsible under the direction of the Shift Manager for the allocation and control of shift operational staff and the effective utilization of equipment resources to meet planned objectives.
- Responsible for maintaining a satisfactory level of staff discipline during the shift and report to Shift Manager in cases of any violations.
- Ensure that safe working practices according to company policies and procedures are strictly adhered to.
- Supervise vessel berthing/sailing and mooring gang operations.
- Act as focal point in the assigned functional area for vessel or yard or rail/gate for any operational issues.
- Coordinate the allocation of outsourced equipment operators and provide adequate supervision.
- Allocation of lashing gangs to specific vessels and responsibility for ensuring unlashing/lashing work is done according to the work plan and to a satisfactory standard.
- Ensure lashing staff are adequately and timely deployed to the lashing platform..
- Regular personal contact with ships officers and crew during berthing/sailing and vessel operations.
- Ensure quay crane idle time is minimal to enable continuous and smooth operations.
- Coordinate immediate adjustment to load/discharge sequence as necessary with the vessel planner to maximize production so that the labour does not stand by for instruction.
- Provide regular process control checks and initiate and support performance improvement activities.
- Undertake all duties and responsibilities in accordance with APM Terminals Code of Conduct and other internal regulations, policies and procedures.
- Manage, motivate and instruct operational team members
We are looking for:
- A University Degree / Diploma in Operations Management, Logistics, Business Administration or related discipline.
- At least three (3) years or more experience in container terminal operations environment, or similar, related industry.
- At least Five (5) years of previous leadership experience involving on the field work with large amount of workers/ labour
- Ability to work under pressure, anticipates potential problems and diagnoses, evaluate and resolve logistical problems as they happen in order to meet operational performance objectives and deadlines.
- Have effective customer service skills.
- Provide leadership and ensure cooperation and support from employees and contractors in all areas of terminal operations to achieve operational objectives of the business using a teamwork approach.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills combined with good counselling and listening skills.
- Well developed English oral, written communications and report writing skills. Also must have a working knowledge of the Pidgin English.
- Previous experience of working in a multi cultural environment is an advantage.
- Ability to work in a shift system covering day, night, weekend and holiday duty and if required working overtime.
- Drive terminal trucks using safe driving techniques and safe parking procedures.
- Requires capability to anticipate problems by recognizing the key issues in problems and creating contingency plans and alternative solutions.
- Have a valid Driving License.
- APM Terminals offers tremendous growth, career and leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and dedication to become one of the best.
- An opportunity to be part of a high performance team that ensures APM Terminals is the most efficient, safe and profitable terminals in the region.
- Working with partners, shareholders, authorities and other stakeholders.
Application Closing Date
3rd June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online