The Australian National University welcomes applications for the Futures of Demography PhD Scholarship award program in the 2021/2022 school year.
Every year, the ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences may grant a number of scholarship awards referred to as the “ANU Futures of Demography PhD Scholarship”.
The aim of the scholarship award is to support exceptional domestic and foreign PhD students who are carrying out research in demography at the Australian National University.
Funding for this scholarship award has been offered by the ANU Futures Scheme Grant, via the School of Demography in the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
Worth of Futures of Demography PhD Scholarship at ANU
- HDR Fee Remission Merit Scholarship: Foreign beneficiaries will also be granted an HDR Fee Remission Merit Scholarship award, to provide the International Student Fees for the standard length of the Higher Degree Research (HDR) program, subject to the beneficiary being rated as competitive in a merit-based selection procedure.
- Relocation Reimbursement: A refund may be requested as a one-off payment to recipients, to assist with relocation expenses, comprising those in respect of the beneficiary’s spouse, de facto partner, and dependent offspring, incurred in starting their HDR program. Where a request for a relocation refund is in respect of a beneficiary’s spouse, de facto partner, or dependent offspring, they have to accompany the beneficiary to Canberra, or join the beneficiary in Canberra within 12 months of the beneficiary starting their HDR program. Beneficiaries who are living outside the Australian Capital Territory or who are permanently living outside Australia at the period of application are qualified to obtain a one-off relocation refund, pegged at a maximum of $1,000 for Domestic candidates, or $2,500 for foreign candidates, towards the expenses of moving to Canberra to commence their eligible HDR program.
- Thesis Reimbursement: Refunds are paid to beneficiaries of the Award to assist with ancillary expenses while undergoing an eligible HDR program. Beneficiaries get a one-off refund of up to $500 for services related to the production of their thesis.
Eligibility for Futures of Demography PhD Scholarship at ANU
The Futures of Demography PhD Scholarship award program will be obtainable every year to a prospective or continuing student/s who:
- is a domestic and/or foreign student; and
- possesses a Bachelor degree program with first-class honours, or a Master degree program with a research constituent or equivalent from a renowned university; and
- is enlisted or enlisting full-time in a PhD program in the Research School of Social Sciences, overseen in the School of Demography.
Selection will be carried out based on academic merit and research prospect. Other factors like demonstrated ability to function in an interdisciplinary team and proven research interest in the relevant ANU Futures Scheme project will also be put into consideration.
The Award will be granted to a candidate by Selection Committee chaired by the Chief Investigator of the applicable ANU Futures Scheme Award, and will also comprise two academic staff of the School of Demography, in the College of Arts & Social Sciences, or in a related area of ANU.
Overall ranking comprises consideration of:
- Academic Record
- Research potential
- Referee reports
- Proven ability to function in an interdisciplinary team
- Displayed research interest in the applicable ANU Futures Scheme project
- Comparison with other applications obtained in the same scholarship award round
The Selection Committee retains the right to grant no Award if it thinks there are no candidates of adequate merit. The Selection Committee may also fluctuate the amount of Awards and/or grant the Award at other times in outstanding situations or on the basis of the standard of applications or candidates (where funds permit).
How to Apply for Futures of Demography PhD Scholarship at ANU
- Candidates who enlisted or are enlisting full‐time in a PhD program in the Research School of Social Sciences, managed in the School of Demography, are qualified for consideration for this award.
- Please submit your details through the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences PhD Scholarship form
Application is ongoing