The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is accepting applications for its Johnson and Johnson Scholarship award for Global Mental Health MSc program for the 2020/21 academic year.
The purpose of the program is to provide knowledge and skills to the candidates to start, grow and monitor mental health programs and/or policies in less resource settings, and also to carry out research and carry out critical assessments on global mental health. The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is famous for its research, postgraduate programs and continuing education in public and global health.
The MSc Global Mental Health program is a joint program offered by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, King’s College London (KCL).
The Janssen Global Mental Health Scholarship award Fund was created in 2012 through a substantial endowment from Janssen Pharmaceutica (part of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies). In 2018, the Johnson & Johnson Scholarship award Fund was created, offering an extra 18 scholarship awards over five years. This is a yearly scholarship award until 2022 (for 2022-23 academic session).
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is providing up to four Johnson and Johnson Scholarship awards to candidates accepted onto the 2020-21 MSc Global Mental Health program.
Worth of Johnson and Johnson Scholarship
Each scholarship award will provide:
- complete tuition fees at the KCL foreign fee rate; and
- an allowance (living stipend) of GBP 17,400.00; and
- a stipend of GBP 500.00 for MSc project costs.
Eligibility for Johnson and Johnson Scholarship
- Eligible Nations: Candidates have to be nationals of, and normally resident in, one of the following nations:
- Africa: Kenya, Ghana, Rwanda, Nigeria, South Africa
- South-East Asia: Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand,
- South America: Nicaragua, Peru
- Entrance Criteria: Candidates from non-English speaking nations (as stated by the Home Office – UKVI) have to fulfil the minimum English Language criteria if selected for this funding. Candidates who have been short-listed for this award will be asked to provide evidence of English language adeptness within 6 weeks of notification for their scholarship award application to be given consideration any further.
See Other Scholarships Opportunities
How to Apply for Johnson and Johnson Scholarship
Step 1: Hand in an application for enrolment to the MSc Global Mental Health program via the King’s College London online application website.
Step 2: Hand in an online scholarships application, choosing this scholarship award option from the drop-down selection. The Johnson and Johnson Scholarship award application has to include the following credentials:
- A filled out Supplementary Questions Form for this scholarship award.
- Evidence of your admission application submission, or Letter of Admission Offer from KCL, for 2020-21 MSc Global Mental Health program.
- English Adeptness score results (if you have these at hand).
Please be aware that unfinished applications will not be given consideration.
Deadline for Evidence of English language adeptness
If you have been selected for interview and you have not yet handed in your evidence of fulfilling the English Language criteria, this has to be submitted latest by 23:59 (BST) on Wednesday 26 May 2021. An appropriate English language test score is required to have been either submitted through your KCL admissions application or through the Johnson and Johnson Scholarship award application on the relevant platform at the time of submission or submitted by email to MSc Global Mental Health Program Director, Ritsuko Kakuma, by this closing date.
No evidence of English language adeptness by this date will imply candidates are no longer qualified for this funding. This is non-negotiable. Those not having handed this in by this time will no longer be given consideration for the scholarship award.
To be given consideration for the Johnson and Johnson Scholarship award, the closing dates for applications are:
- For Admissions application: 23:59 (GMT) on Sunday, February 14, 2021
- For Scholarship awards application: 23:59 (GMT) on Sunday, March 21, 2021